Cinema hasn''t given me great roles: Lillete Dubey

Cinema hasn't given me great roles: Lillete DubeyShe has embraced age like no other actor, having played several matronly roles — from the lovable Professor of Always Kabhi Kabhi to the pushy mother in Paanch, an attractive, fun-seeking restaurateur in Kal Ho Na Ho, and more.

The latest in line for Lillete Dubey is Madhur Bhandarkar's Heroine, which is now in a limbo. Lillete was to play Aishwarya Rai's mother in the film. 'I believe that Madhur will complete the project," says the actor.

Lillete says that she is still hungry for roles. "Cinema hasn't given me great roles. In my range, I've exhausted everything. I feel lucky that I still get work," she says.

And though she's played her share of older characters, Lillete says that she will not play a wimp. "I'm a spoilt actor. I began with Greek tragedies and classics in Barry John's academy. I'm not content with just any other aunty-type role. I came to the industry with 15 years of theatre experience and then did Gadar: Ek Prem Katha. The roles should have depth, which is why I chose to do a Pinjar or a Kal Ho Na Ho," she says.
Reports suggest that she was offered a role in Delhi Belly, which she turned down. "I don't want to do any two-bit role," she says. So, is she hopeful of finding a place in new age cinema? "I'm excited by the crop of young directors like Zoya Akhtar, who do fantastic work. I hope they come up with compelling roles, fitting for senior actors like me," she adds.

Up next, she will appear as Dev Patel's mother in John Madden's The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, alongside Judi Dench and Tom Wilkinson. "I shared screen space with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. It was an amazing experience," says Lillete.

The most exciting bit for Lillete, at the moment, is her play, Adhe Adhure, which she's produced, directed and will act in. The play, which will premiere in Bangalore, is based on a classic written in the 1960s by playwright Mohan Rakesh. Lillete's daughter, Ira, will also make her debut in a Hindi play. "Mohan is little known in the world of theatre, and his language is so poetic. There have been scattered productions here and there, but no one has done a big production. So I bought the rights," she says.

0 comments:

Post a Comment